Saturday we’d planned to go to Mackinac Island for the day. I wanted to show Dan some of my favorite places. There are so many places on the island that many tourists never see; I was hoping to take our bikes and really take some time off the main street. Weather has a way of changing your plans. We got up on Saturday morning to cool winds and rain. The forecasted weather was for rain most of the day and intermittent thunder storms. The island is not the place you want to be when it’s raining. Especially on a bike without fenders. Horse drawn carriages, drays and horseback riders mean lots of horse poop. And when it rains; it becomes liquid horse poop that splashes up and sticks to everything.
So we elected to stay in the city another day. We spent a very lazy day around the boat; watching a couple dvd’s and watching the people come and go. In between the breaks in the rain storms we walked over to Mackinaw Courtyards and did a little shopping. We bought only fudge. I think you get to a point in your life when souvenirs don’t just mean as much. I wanted to get a t-shirt or sweatshirt that said Mackinaw; but nothing really struck my fancy. We also went to the only grocery in town and traded in some empties and picked up bread and eggs My shopping at home has worked out well; but some things I miscalculated or you have to buy fresh.
Saturday evening Jerry and Cheryl Kaczmarek stopped by the boat. They were in town with Cheryl’s kids at the local campground and came by to say hi. We had a glass of wine together and they stayed till 9:30 or so. We had decided to get up early and be on our way to Tobermory by 7:00am.
No comments:
Post a Comment