Sunday, July 12, 2015

Norfolk to Cape May

Sunday, July 12




Our plan was to leave the marina at 6:45AM so we could catch the first opening of the bridge before the Great Bridge lock. The bridge only opens on the hour; so we absolutely needed to be there waiting five minutes before the hour. 

We got up at five thirty to have coffee, tea and a little breakfast. We did our usual morning routine and then set about getting ready to go. I fill our water bottles with ice and add water so we have something to drink up on the bridge. I put them in a small cooler so they stay cold most of the day in the southern heat.  But these thermal water bottles will stay cold most of the day if the temperature isn't too high.


We gather up all of our electronics and take everything up top. Dan starts the engines and I start untying lines. We moved away from the dock and headed out. Just a note here about how giddy Dan is about that bow thruster. A bow thruster is about a 12" opening in the bow of the boat that goes from port to starboard. It is essentially a tunnel from one side of the boat to the other. It has an electric motor driven propeller mounted in the center that allows you to move laterally from side to side. It helps a lot with docking and maintaining a holding position in current. He doesn't hesitate to use it.  


The bridge was just in front of our marina so we pulled up close. This one wasn't a swing bridge but a lift bridge. 


We went through the bridge opening and there it was. Our first lock. I didn't even take a picture. I was a little apprehensive. But it was a piece of cake! We pulled up to the lock wall and the lock master helped us arrange our lines. Dan took the stern and I took the bow. He just looped the line around a cleat for us and we held the boat to the side as water came in and lifted us up. It went pretty quickly and we were driving out the other end before we knew it. This lock didn't even need fenders because it had rubber guards on the inside of the lock.  

 
We continued north on the Elizabeth River through Norfolk. We had one more bridge that we needed to wait for. A railroad bridge that is normally open was closing just as we got there to let a construction crew across. We waited about twenty minutes to be able to pass through. 

As we continued into Norfolk we started to pass the navy shipyards. So, so much work going on here. I think we saw three aircraft carriers.






















We even saw some ships that weren't US Navy.








It took us about two hours to clear Norfolk Harbor and head East out through Chesapeake Bay. The water was pretty rough as it seems to be in all of these ocean bays. We still had to round Cape Charles and head North. The bay has Cape Charles on the north of the ocean opening and Cape Henry on the south. The opening is wide and is connected by a 23 mile causeway and underwater tunnel. It was a pretty amazing feat of engineering.

As we headed East out to sea the ocean was determined to rattle our teeth. We were heading straight into 4-6 foot waves that were pounding on us pretty good. It was like being in Lake Erie with 4-6 footers. This was the first time I felt physically uncomfortable on the boat. We were getting jarred pretty good. Dan felt that once we made our turn to go North it would be better. We had to head East first to be out far enough to be in deep water.  

Sure enough once we turned North we were taking the waves on our starboard side bow. It made it a lot more comfortable. We still were bouncing quite a bit but not so hard. Our first five hours on the water we didn't do much moving around. It was like trying to walk around on a flexing trampoline. At one point I had to use the head. I pretty much scooted around on my butt to get down off the bridge. I had to use cabinets and counter to keep myself upright down below. I used the time in the cabin to make some lunch. I had to brace myself in the galley to work.

The seas started to lay down about four hours out of Cape May. We were in ripples with maybe one foot swells. What a difference in our comfort level. 

We arrived in Cape May at five thirty with 175 miles behind us. We stayed at the Canyon Club Marina which now takes the honors as being the most expensive place we've stayed.  $3.00 a foot for dockage!  Yikes.

This place must be the sportfish capital of New Jersey. Dan and I wondered how many millions of dollars of fiberglass surround us.





No time for sightseeing tonight. Our plan is to be on the water again tomorrow by seven. 

1 comment: